We already discovered 3,500 species of mosquitoes from various parts of the world. Some species of mosquitoes bite humans and spread infectious diseases like Zika, dengue, and chikungunya .Theses diseases affecting millions of people per year and still they have no vaccines or medicines . Mosquito-borne diseases can make people ill and, in critical cases, can cause death.so first we need to know what makes Zika, dengue, and chikungunya an epidemic.
Aedes aegypti or Aedes albopictus mosquito species can spread these dangerous diseases when they bite person who is infected with one of those viruses. Infected mosquitoes can then become agent of one of these viruses to other people.
Prevent mosquito bites with simple Tips
There are many options that you can follow to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes, including:
- Prefer to wear long, loose-fitting clothes with light color when mosquitoes are around because mosquitoes get attracted by dark colours.
- Use mosquito nets treated with insecticides and repellents and try to use flywire screens on windows.
- Use ‘knockdown’ sprays and plug-in vaporising devices indoors.
- In small protected areas mosquito coils or citronella candles can be effective.
- Dusk and dawn is the time when mosquitoes are more active .During this time period avoid outdoor activity .
- Use powerful mosquito repellents on exposed clothing and skin.
Control of mosquitoes around the home
You can reduce the risk of mosquito bites if you recognized and get rid of potential mosquito breeding sites around your home by:
- Get rid of unusual waste like tins, tyres and similar stuff because they are the source of mosquito breeding.
- Always fix the places which are responsible for water forming. Regularly clean gutters and drains and mend leaking taps.
- Schedule some activities like changing pot plants and bird baths water and never forget the vases of pets’ drinking water.
- Buy flywire screens for all windows and self-closing wire screens for doors. Check them regularly and repair any holes.
- Pot plant base can form water pool so put some sand around it so it absorbs excess water from the dish.
- Flush unused toilet on regular basis.
- Use removable screen mesh to the outlet end of overflow pipes and to all water inlets.
- Change water of children’s wading pools on regular basis.
- If you own a rainwater tank or alternative water storage devices then use fish in stored water they can eat mosquito larva.
- Provide secure lids or screens for all water collection containers.
- Support your local community mosquito control programs that handled at the local level, such as through city government or country.